Dental Care for Dogs
WHY IS DENTAL CARE IMPORTANT TO A DOGS’S HEALTH & WELLBEING?
Lack of dental care can lead to dental disease. Dental disease is a very common and the #1 health issue in dogs.
Did you know?
- It affects 80% of adult dogs, especially small breeds, and older dogs.
- It affects 96% of dogs over the age of 12 years.
- Since 2006, there has been a 23% increase in its prevalence and is growing year on year.
Dental disease includes any health issue affecting the mouth, including inflammation, tartar, gingivitis, and periodontal disease.
Only 14% of dogs receive regular dental checks/care at a veterinary clinic and only 2% of owners brush their pets' teeth daily (the gold standard) which when matched with the high incidence of dental disease, indicates that the majority of dogs are not receiving adequate dental care.
Dogs are stoic animals so do not exhibit dental pain in the same way we do. Often subtle signs like halitosis, calculus, drooling or rubbing their mouths are the early indicators of dental problems that owners either mistake as normal or miss completely.
Did you know?
Tartar, the yellowish film on the tooth surface, can harden into bacterial plaque in as little as 24 hours
Bacterial plaque can only be removed mechanically and not by brushing alone. If not removed it can lead to gingivitis.
Gingivitis symptoms are reddening of the gums and bleeding. If left untreated it can lead to periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease is irreversible and often leads to tooth extraction as bacteria destroys the gums. Left untreated, dental disease can cause not just tooth loss and severe pain but also systemic health issues such as heart, kidney, and liver disease.
HOW DO WHIMZEES DENTAL TREATS HELP CLEAN TEETH?
WHIMZEES dental treats are designed to help remove plaque and tartar for adult dogs by mechanically scrubbing the tooth. With a firm texture and unique designs, WHIMZEES encourage a longer chew time for extended cleaning and feature nubs and ridges to help clean hard to reach places.
With increased dietary fibre, WHIMZEES Dental Chews have a firmer texture which helps polish a dog’s teeth while they chew and encourages a long chew duration.
A secondary benefit of dental treats is that when a dog chews or gnaws for a period of time, the salivary glands are stimulated causing an increased production of saliva into the mouth. Saliva in dogs has some antibacterial properties and is specifically effective against Escherichia coli and Streptococcus Canis which can help minimise plaque development to help support overall dental health.
WHAT ARE THE FEATURES & BENEFITS OF WHIMZEES?
- Effective Dental Cleaning: 2 x more effective than the leading competitors at removing plaque*.
- Longer Chew Time: The carefully chosen ingredients and patented high tech production process of WHIMZEES deliver a firmer dental treat. The firmer texture promotes a longer chew time for increased cleaning time as well as naturally helping to polish a dog’s teeth whilst chewing. WHIMZEES treats occupy dogs for a longer time - proven to last 3 x longer than the leading competitors*.
- Unique Composition: WHIMZEES use the very best all-natural ingredients to create a dental treat that not only supports a dog’s dental health but one that also supports digestion, making it perfect to be fed daily.
- Unique Shapes: Grooves help work the treat into smaller spaces between dogs’ teeth, hollow shapes and spaces allow teeth to grip and chew more evenly and unique ridges & nubs encourage blood flow through the gums to help remove bacteria which in turn can prevent bad breath.
- Hypo-allergenic: No wheat, no grains (excluding the Rice Bone) and GMO-free to create a naturally hypo-allergenic treat that is suitable for every dog, especially ones with ingredient sensitivities.
- Vegetarian: WHIMZEES do not contain any animal proteins, so are ideal for dogs that have dietary intolerances.
- Limited, All-Natural Ingredients: WHIMZEES uses only 6 primary ingredients that are all natural with no artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives.
- Low fat & low in calories: making WHIMZEES suitable for most dogs without the risk of weight gain.
*Based on a study at an independent kennel.
Did you know?WHIMZEES are scientifically proven to:
- Reduce plaque.
- Reduce tartar.
- Support gum health.
- Freshen breath.
WHIMZEES Toothbrush has achieved VOHC Acceptance for Tartar and Plaque Reduction in Dogs.
MAKING DENTAL CARE A HABIT
Optimal plaque control for dogs ideally needs to be administered daily. We would always recommend brushing as the gold standard but also understand this is not always achievable.
Most dogs enjoy gnawing and chewing so giving them a daily dental treat, such as WHIMZEES, not only looks after their teeth, but also provides a reward they look forward to.
When used daily, WHIMZEES are proven to reduce plaque (dramatically reducing the need for veterinary teeth cleaning) promoting healthier teeth, healthier gums, and fresher breath.
In terms of making dental care a habit, we suggest introducing WHIMZEES into your dog’s daily routine just like breakfast and dinner time. You could even give your dog a WHIMZEES when you brush your own teeth!